Here are some popular cycling routes in the San Diego area.
Most rides start from these two locations:
UCSD Bike Shop – The shop is in the UCSD Old Student Center near the red star. We generally meet in front of the bike shop, near Hi-Thai. The Sunday morning ride meets here at 9am most Sundays Fall and Winter quarters. Location on Google.
Team Rides (During the off-season)
- Sunday Team Ride: Departs 8am from campus Bike Shop. Coastal route 2-3h. Coffee break usually. Easy and comfortable pace. Social ride.
- Thursday Soledad Ride: Departs 4pm from campus Bike Shop. 2-3h. 4-5 repeats up Mount Soledad (in La Jolla). Moderate-difficult pace. Regroup at summit. Celebratory meal at Chipotle afterwards.
- Le Tour de Donuts: Annual “race” in the Spring following the conclusion of the collegiate season to mark yet another successful year. Spend the morning riding around San Diego eating as many donuts as you can. Then attempt to tackle a climb (Torrey Pines, Soledad…) without throwing up and be crowned the “Gluttonous Champion”. Everyone welcome!
- Racetrack TT Course - 40km+, 1.5hrs+ A great course to do un-interrupted riding in coastal San Diego county.
- Donut Ride to VG’s - 35.04 km – 1.5 hrs+
- “Le Tour de LJ” - >45km, 2hrs+ Basic route shown, but changes week to week to make things interesting. Some of the most scenic riding in coastal san diego. Traffic is generally better in the afternoons
- Fiesta Island - 37.64 km – 1.5 hrs
- Rancho Santa Fe – 2 hrs
- Coastal to La Costa – 49.59 km – 2-2.5 hrs
- Pomerado – 79.07 km – 2.5-3 hrs
- Elfin Forest (Swami’s) – 89.20 km – 3-4 hrs. This is the Saturday Ride for Swami’s. Departing Nytro (Encinitas) at around 8am (time varies). Can also do the route in reverse (Eflin Reverse).
- Highland Valley - 121 km – 4-4.5 hrs. Moderate-difficult. Classic East County course with intermediate climbs, rolling hills, scenic views, but some heavy traffic and bad roads (Miramar Rd, Hwy, Scripps Poway, Hwy 67, Hwy 78). But still one of the best rides San Diego has to offer. Many variations keep the route interesting.
- Wildcat Canyon – 116 km – 4.5-5 hrs
- San Clemente (Orange County) – 161 km – 5.5-6 hrs
- Palomar – 6 hrs+
- UCSD Practice Crit